Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day Four: "Love is Thoughtful"

"How precious also are Your thoughts for me...
How vast is the sum of them! If I should count them, 
they would outnumber the sand."
Psalm 139:17-18

The Dare:  "Contact your spouse sometime during the business of the day. Have no agenda other than asking how he or she is doing and if there is anything you could do for them."

The Outcome: I have to admit, Nathan blew me out of the ballpark on this one. I started off my day on the wrong foot, rushing out the door and scrambling to get to work on time (which to me is always 15 mins early). Today's lesson plan should've just had chaos written at the top of it. We had about two and a half hours to fit in our curriculum, a fall project, and some individual pictures I wanted to take of each child for the bulletin board. Half way into our morning, right smack in the middle of the chaos, my boss notifies me that the State has decided to make a surprise visit. In other words: PANIC. I immediately had to regroup, get twelve three year olds cleaned up, all of our chaotic art projects put away, and get them all washed up for snack (which includes me requiring each child to wash/scrub their hands for 20 seconds). Add a couple more feather-ruffling situations to my day and that about sums up where I was emotionally when I got my phone call from Nate. At that point, I was just in tears, spitting my emotions out left and right. Poor Nathan, after quietly listening from the other end, simply asked if there was anything he could do to help to which I responded (in my most "pity me" voice)..."No, no, no. There's just nothing that would help. This is the worst day ever." Then, I remembered: "Crap! I was supposed to check up on HIM and he's checking up on me and now I have no way to spin the conversation around to be about HIM....uggggggh that just adds to terrible day!" Bursting into tears I replied, "I was supposed to ask how your day was. So, how was your day (snob, sniff, snob)?" He chuckled a bit, realizing how close I was to receiving Mother Nature's monthly gift. As the day went on, the events didn't seem to get better, but Nate really picked up the pieces. He took Owen to and from the gym to give me some quite time, and cleaned up the house tonight before leaving for his football game. I must say, I felt like quite a failure today on being "thoughtful," but my husband picked up the slack and demonstrated the definition to perfection.

Day Four:  SUCCESS

36 days and counting...

No comments:

Post a Comment