Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Day Eleven: "Love Cherishes"

"Husbands ought to also love their own wives as their own bodies."
Ephesians 5:28

The Dare: "What need does your spouse have that you could meet today? Can you run an errand? Give a back rub or foot massage? Is there housework you could help with? Choose a gesture that says, 'I cherish you' and do it with a smile."

The Outcome:  For the last month, Nate has been put on what we call "Concierge Duty." For 3 months out of the year everyone employed within his company is on rotation to work in the Concierge. His normal workday begins at 8:30 and ends around 4:30. During "Concierge Duty," he leaves the house by 7 a.m. and doesn't get home until about 6:00 p.m. That's working in Marietta for you. He is usually pretty rushed to hurry home, change clothes, squeeze in a quick workout, and try to get back home before Owen goes to bed at 8 p.m. For my "dare" today, I decided to make his lunch (which he usually does after Owen goes to bed). Sure, it only took ten minutes to put all SIX of his meals together, but it was a gesture to show him I cherish his time at home with us.

We had a late night tonight. We cleaned house late, ate dinner late, got Owen into bed late and I could feel the tension starting inside of me (I tend to get stressed when my house isn't clean by 8 p.m, and it's 9 p.m. at this point). I got Owen ready for bed and laid down with him to have our nightly bedside chat. I was there physically but my mind was focusing on everything I still needed to get done before I retired for the night. Clean the kitchen. Pick up toys. Straighten up the living room...blah, blah, blah. As I kissed Owen good night, said his bedtime prayers and walked out the door, I saw the house was spotless and Nate was directing me towards the bathroom where steam from the hot bubble bath had already fogged the mirrors, a soft smell of cotton filled the room from the candles and my chilled glass of wine sat on the table next to the bathtub...HEAVENLY! Feeling of being cherished....accomplished:)

DAY ELEVEN: SUCCESS

29 days and counting...

No comments:

Post a Comment