Monday, October 17, 2011

Day Eight and Nine...

‎"Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame." 
_Song of Solomon 8:6_

Day Eight: "Love is Not Jealous"

The Dare: "Determine to become your spouse's biggest fan and to reject any thoughts of jealousy. To help you set your heart on your spouse and focus on their achievements, take yesterday's list of negative attributes and burn it. Then share with your spouse how glad you are about a success he or she recently enjoyed."

The Outcome: I didn't "physically" burn the negative list I had written, mainly because I thought it would be kind of cheesy, but I did throw it out and refuse to focus on it any longer. I won't live in denial that there is a list that exists, whether written or not, for myself and for Nathan. In our human nature, we can't help but notice each others shortcomings along the way. But to the same degree I know there is a list, I believe just as much that I have a choice in the matter. I have a choice to dwell on it or pray on it. I'm choosing to love. I'm choosing to lead my heart. I'm choosing to pray on it. 

Day Eight: SUCCESS

32 days and counting...


"Greet one another with a kiss of love."
1 Peter 5:14

Day Nine: "Love makes good impressions."

The Dare:  "Think of a specific way you'd like to greet your spouse today. Do it with a smile and with enthusiasm. Then determine to change your greeting to reflect your love for them."

The Outcome:  This was actually really tough for me, as it would be for most people who have been married for almost eight years. You see each other day in and day out. You wake up together. You go to bed together. You spend every day together other than work. You get used to each other. Now, I personally am not a "lovey dovey" person. I don't care to give hugs and make out every time I see my husband. It's not that I don't love him or don't feel attracted to him, it's just that I've gotten used to seeing him everyday. Nathan leaves on Catastrophe Duty roughly 3 times a year, for two to three weeks at a time for work. I've definitely learned "absence makes the heart grow fonder." I tend to hug him a little longer before he leaves, kiss him a little more tenderly, find small talk...anything to keep him there a second longer. When he returns back home, it's like a dream come true. The butterflies flutter again. The challenge today made me realize how important it is to express my "passion" for him on a daily basis, not on the occasion he's going away or returning. Those are great times to convey my heartfelt enjoyment, but if I only react this way during those times, he would only receive that kind of affection three or so times a year! That's not healthy...or acceptable. Challenge accepted!

DAY NINE: SUCCESS 

31 days and counting...



No comments:

Post a Comment