Thursday, March 31, 2011

"The End of The World As We Know It?"


 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."
Matthew 24:42-44

I realize the subject of "End Times" is a sketchy one to most people. Everyone has different beliefs about when it will happen, how it will take place, and what we should expect. Some people think Jesus was using figurative language when describing events at the end of time. Others believe his words were literal. I'm no scholar, and I don't proclaim to have this subject down to a science. If you are new to the scene of Christianity and are lost as to what I'm talking about, you can find an overview of what the Tribulation is here: 


To be certain of your own beliefs in this matter, I encourage you to do some studying. There are many books written on this subject but the best material is the Word. I don't know about you, but since God created this world, I believe his Book would give the best information on how this world will end. There are many things in the Word that tell us exactly what to do: do not steal, have no other gods before me, do not kill, etc...Sometimes I contemplate the reason Jesus didn't tell us everything in black and white. For example, "Will we go before, after or during the Tribulation?" To be honest, you can probably make an argument for each of those time frames. But I think there are some things we can take from this that ARE black and white.

First and foremost, I believe in the Word. I believe it is inspired by a Holy God, written to us for the purpose of helping us through this life and leading us to Jesus. We can't always agree on specifics in the Word, but we can agree on the words of Jesus. No matter what the details are about the when, where and how's of the Tribulation and End Times, Jesus was sure to give us a definite warning: watch, stay alert, and be ready. I can't predict when the end will come; no man will know. It could happen five minutes from now, five years from now, five decades from now. But I can be sure I'm watching, staying alert and readying myself spiritually. 

If you are a friend of mine, you know how interested I am in the study of End Time prophecies. I love it. It inspires me. It strengthens my faith. It thrills my heart to know the day of my salvation is near. It encourages me to walk out this life with even more of a desire to lead others to Jesus. When I post stories and videos of events going on in the world, my purpose is not to scare you. My desire is for these things to lead you to the cross; to examine the life you live now. To wake up to the things going around you, and heed the warnings Jesus gave us. To see the ongoing world events as the possibility of "birth pains that must happen before the end." When you consider the possibility of the end fast approaching, you slow your life down a bit. You cherish moments more than before. You walk and talk with a little more love. You make it a point to share Jesus with others. 

If you haven't accepted Jesus as your savior, end-time subject aside, today is your day. Believing in Jesus doesn't just secure you a seat in Paradise for all eternity, it redeems you from a life of hopelessness here on earth. "What if you're wrong," you say. Ok, what if I AM wrong? That simply means I spent my whole life with a purpose in mind to be a better person, to love and forgive others, and to lend a helping hand when needed. When my time to pass away comes, I simply led a good life and now I'm dead. 


But, what if you are wrong, my friend? Not only do you lead a hopeless life here on earth, struggling to be the best person you can out of your own efforts, but you now get to spend an eternity in darkness. Eternity in its simplest definition means a place of existence for a limitless amount of time. If the Bible is true, that means your destiny for all time, is in Hell. Now this fact raises a question as well. "Why would a loving God send people to a place of unending torment?" God gives many chances in this life for you to come into relationship with him. Even during the Tribulation, he gives yet another opportunity for you to come to know Him. "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9)." 


God is a gentleman. He will never force someone into relationship with Him. He wants relationship, not dictatorship. If at the time of your passing, you still have chosen not to be in friendship with him, he will grant your wish, and give you a place for all eternity without Him. After all, wasn't that your desire in life by not choosing Him? God gives the desires of you heart, and if that desire is to be apart from Him, He will grant that as well. 


In my opinion, there are many prophecies that have been and are being fulfilled that are leading up to a fast approaching return of Jesus. I may be wrong. It may be years from now, but either way, are you ready? The bottom line that we can all agree on, no matter what you believe in, is that we will all die someday. The day of Jesus' return may be forever away, but the day of your departure from this earth may be today. Where will your departure lead you? It will be one of two places....into the loving arms of your Savior, or into darkness where you will never be "bothered" by Him again. Your choice. Your desire. Your decision. 



No comments:

Post a Comment