Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Sack of Guilt"

"Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and proclaim to her that her hard service has been completed, that her sin has been paid for, that she has received from the LORD's hand double for all her sins." 
- Isaiah 40:2


When you are a reformed wild-child, you've heard everything in the book. People, especially the older ones in your life, are quick to inform you how your many mistakes will catch up to you and scar you forever. For the most part, they were right. As much as I hate to say it, they shared a bit of wisdom I conveniently ignored. I'll admit I carried some of the baggage of my mistakes throughout my life. But of all the nagging around me to change my life, I had never heard it spoken tenderly. It was always spoken harshly, demanding control over me more than a desire to see my life changed.


God doesn't want our response to be condemning towards people going through trials, whether they've put themselves in  that situation or not. He wants us to speak tenderly (considerate, loving and sympathetic). Now, I never said that was an easy task. I especially feel like being very harsh when I see my friends walking down paths I took. I know the "lure" of those paths, but I also know the destruction that waits at the end of it. This is when I have to fight my battle through prayer. God can take it. He knows my heart, and he knows my desire to see others not ever have to face the same battles I have. So, in giving Him my frustration about a situation, my prayer turns into intercession. I leave my talk with God feeling like I've done my duty. I can then have the peace to speak to my friend, tenderly - knowing that my talk with God will have more effect than my talk with my friend. He is able to do much more through our prayers.



I think a lot of times, when we walk through painful circumstances in our lives, especially ones we willingly put ourselves in, we take hold of guilt. We realize our wrong, turn the other way, and still carry the guilt of it on our shoulders. How should we help people struggling with this emotion?"...Proclaim to her that her hard service has been completed, that her sin has been paid for, that she has received from the LORD's hand double for all her sins." Yes, you may have walked away from God. Yes, you may have made a total fool of yourself. Yes, you may be living with some consequences of sin. But God has made a promise that its been PAID for. Stop trying to make up for it. God remembers it no more, and he's ready to give you double for what you've been through. But, you have to be willing to let go of guilt in order to find rest...



 “Stand at the crossroads and look; 

   ask for the ancient paths, 
ask where the good way is, and walk in it, 
   and you will find rest for your souls." 
Jeremiah 6:16

No comments:

Post a Comment