Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"Does God Still Speak?"

Isaiah 30:21
Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, 'This is the way, walk in it, whenever you turn to the right or whenever you turn to the left'.


John 14:26
The Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.



If you've ever taken time to get into the Word, you'll agree with me about its promises: they are BIG ones. I know for myself, sometimes I can take for granted the many promises God has given me in this life. One of my favorite ones is His promise to always lead and guide me. There are TONS of scripture that refer to this but in order not to lose my ADD readers, I've included only two of them. However, there are some verses I want to share with you about a man named Elijah. 


"And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper.And when Elijah heard it,he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" 1 Kings 19:11-13


This story was interesting to me because I don't think we are so different from Elijah. When were are going through tough times, seeking some answers, we expect God to show up. We expect it to be a big, bright, LOUD answer. Elijah seemed to expect the same, but God surprised him. God's voice wasn't in the blustering wind, or the trembling earthquake, or the raging fire...but in the quiet whisper. Why? I believe he was preparing us for the way he would speak to us in the future. 


After Jesus walked this earth, died on the cross, and rose again, he left a special gift with us: the Holy Spirit. No longer would we have to rely on God to guide us from the outside. He could now take up residency in our hearts, through the Holy Spirit. He called this Spirit a Counselor, one that would teach you all things, and help you remember the words of Jesus. It was what He meant when he said ,"I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts." 


God is more than able to use a loud, boisterous voice to get our attention. But, in His sovereignty, he more often than not chooses to speak to us in a whisper...in our hearts. He's speaking to me this second, as I write this blog. He's speaking to you this very minute, as you read this blog. It's a gentle whisper, but your heart can hear it if you slow down...and listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment