Monday, February 21, 2011

God of the Universe or Genie in a Lamp? You decide...

"If you had responded to my rebuke, I would have poured out my heart to you and made my thoughts known to you." Proverbs 1:23
This verse really tugged at my heart. You hear people use a familiar bible verse to respond to any matter that ruffles your feathers: "Ask and it shall be given to you." Well, what happens when we ask, and it's not given? Is God a liar? Does he not WANT to give us what it is we are asking for?
I think the problem begins when our view of God becomes distorted. When we view him as a genie in a lamp instead of a Father looking out for what's best for us, we are bound for trouble and confusion. Until our will for our life lines up with God's, we will be running in the same circles, struggling with the same temptations, storing up bitterness towards a God who never seems to never work the way we want him to. God's will for your life will always be for your growth spiritually. He is not committed to your comfort. He is committed to your character. Funny thing is, we get angry about this! We get flustered when God says no. We throw tantrums when he seems to be unconcerned with our comfort. In reality, he's just holding us up to our end of the deal when we chose Jesus as our Savior. That commitment you signed up for long ago was to begin to become more like Christ. So, everyday, with every request, God is weighing the answer: "Will this granted request ultimately lead them closer to Me or further away?
One of my deepest fears is that I would wake up thirty years from now and see the same "scenery" in my life. Struggle with the same temptations. Battle with the same past disappointments. Remain crippled in my walk out of shame, struggling still to keep my feet grounded and balanced. But, unless I have a teachable heart, that's what I'm headed towards. Unless I obediently surrender to God's will for my life (which includes his rebuke and correction more times than not), spiritual stagnation is my destiny. Bitter and full of resentment, my heart will remain tied down with the things of the past. And all because I refused to be taught. Jesus died for me not only in order to have a pre-paid ticket to heaven, but also for me to experience a pre-paid victory here on earth. I do not intend to miss out on that "abundant life" he has planned for me. Respond to Him with a teachable heart, you'll be surprised at the makeover that happens in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment