Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Friendship: What's the Point?


“Son of man, let all my words sink deep into your own heart first. Listen to them carefully for yourself. Then go to your people in exile and say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says!’ Do this whether they listen to you or not.” Ezekiel 3:10-11

Ever wonder why we need friendships? Being a female, I can be the first to say that we are NOT always easy to get along with. We are sensitive, bicker over petty issues, turn into hormonal monsters once a month and obsess over the most insignificant details in life. So, what's the point? Wouldn't it be easier to keep to myself and let other girls wallow in their own dramatic lives? It sounds like a good idea, but we would rob ourselves of one of the biggest ways God uses to speak to us.
I can be the first to admit that sometimes I may seem overbearing in my "rebuke" to my friends. If you are looking for a friend to share your life goals with and expect they will hold you to it, look no longer! You've found her. I've found with friendships, there are some that just want to be consoled in their decision they've made for the day, no matter how different it was from the original decision they made to follow. You better believe, as your friend, I will call you out on it, especially if it's a commitment you originally made to God, and now other things are swaying you. I get upset with myself sometimes with my brutal honesty with my friends. And trust me, when you speak with that kind of rebuke, you don't have many friends that will choose to stick around. But I have those few who've learned who I am, who I serve, and the reasons I hold them accountable.
I can't promise I will never have screw-ups in my life. I can't promise I will never fail you. I can't promise that I will always tell you what you want to hear. But I can promise you I will remain true to my God and pursue Him each day. I can promise, if I am a friend of yours, you can count on me to seek God first before I answer your question. In the same way God told Ezekiel to "let all my words sink deep into your own heart first," I promise to do the same. And you better believe, I will go to you and speak the truth in love, whether you listen or not. My goal is to not just be your friend in life, but be your friend in Christ. I want abundant life for you. I want to see you keep true to your words. I want to help and encourage you to stay committed and keep your eyes on God, because I know all too well, and too painfully, what can happen when you take your eyes off Him. Cherish those friendships that won't leave you broken, but will direct you to the One who can fix you.

"We must perceive with the ear before we receive in the heart. For although God prepares his children for hearing, and gives them ears for that purpose, yet his teaching does not penetrate to their minds before it has been received by the ear."

No comments:

Post a Comment