Sunday, April 14, 2019

Palm Sunday: My "Hosanna"



Life-changing moments. I've had many. One that will forever stand out in my mind and heart was the day my foundation and all I believed in crumbled. I remember like it was yesterday. Upstairs. Alone. Early hours. Just me, the Word and a hovering of the Holy Spirit I had never experienced before.

The gap between the God I’d known my entire life and the one in I was beginning to see in Scripture were complete opposites. 



I was angry. Angry that in all my 20 + years of being a "Christian", I'd never read the Bible this way. Confused as to how and why I had missed it for so many years. Torn as I fought through emotions, realizing my belief didn't go past the surface of my heart. Sure, I "believed.' But not enough to transform me. 

Armed with Scripture, determined to bend my stubborn will with what little strength I had left, hurling every word possible towards the God I no longer knew, clinging to what measly faith remained, I fought ... 

I dug my heels in and prepared for battle, clinging to a sliver of hope that He’d fulfill His promise to answer if I sought Him

After mere minutes that felt like hours, the Scriptures came alive in a way that didn't feel cozy or comfortable, but left in its wake an overwhelming peace.  I felt all the magnitude, all the power, all the ferocious love of the Father that sent me to my knees, gasping for air as the Truth of the gospel filled my lungs for the first time.

The realness of my frail humanity was brought into light by the truth of His magnificent glory and splendor.

I don’t know why the Lord chose in that moment to reveal Himself to me in such a impactful way. Even the minuscule seed of faith I had left could've only come from His hand. But my life from that moment was never the same. I was transformed and given a boldness of the Gospel inside of me that I could no longer ignore.


One thing I'm sure of ... it didn’t happen apart from someone, somewhere interceding for me. There were many people praying for me at this time in my life , but there was that someone on their knees, tears streaming, refusing to leave the throne room until He opened my eyes to see and my ears to hear.

Have you EVER had the privilege of pleading for someone in this way? It is painful. It is HEAVY. There are days when it takes your breath away. Nights when the Lord won’t let you rest. Moments where you can almost feel the reality of the invisible battle happening in the heavenlies. There are raw, real moments when you beg the Lord to release you from it. But in His loving kindness, He doesn’t. Why?

The unexplainable happens when you intercede for others as if its your own pain. 

Your own marriage in peril. Your own child who's sick. Your own relationship in the balance. The natural part of you thinks “Well, if I spend all this time praying for someone else this way, what does it leave for me?”

The simple answer? It makes us more like Christ, "... who died—more than that, who was raised to life—and is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us." (Romans 8:34b)

The meaty answer? Because something miraculous, almost majestic, takes place during intercession. 

The prayers and requests we bring into the throne room somehow morph into answers and provision over our own lives and all that pertains to it. To experience the Lord collecting all the tears you’ve cried, burdens you've carried, pain you've felt for others and using them as a balm to soothe and dry your own eyes, creates a depth of worship in your soul you'd never reach otherwise.

If you've yet to enter the soul-quenching battle between what your head knows and your heart believes, I encourage you to make the time. On this Palm Sunday, as many of us are celebrating the coming King, what will be the motivation of your “Hosanna”?


Until you know the One True King as he shows himself to be in the Word, you’ll never move past going through the motions. 

You’ll find yourself lined up with those on the streets of Jerusalem, waving branches and praising an idea of God, but never fully feeling His power.

Lord, save us from our ideas of who you are. Give us the boldness and courage to enter the war room until we emerge victoriously with our True Father, in all your majesty, all your splendor, all your sovereignty and power... firmly seated on the throne of our hearts. Once and for all.


I see the king of glory
Coming on the clouds with fire
The whole earth shakes, the whole earth shakes, yeah
I see His love and mercy
Washing over all our sin
The people sing, the people sing

Hosanna, Hosanna
Hosanna in the highest
Hosanna, Hosanna
Hosanna in the highest

I see a generation
Rising up to take the place
With selfless faith, with selfless faith
I see a near revival
Staring as we pray and seek
We're on our knees, we're on our knees

Hosanna, Hosanna
Hosanna in the highest
Hosanna, Hosanna
Hosanna in the highest

Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen

Show me how to love like you have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks yours
Everything I am for your kingdom's cause

As I walk from earth into eternity

No comments:

Post a Comment