Friday, January 10, 2014

Elevating Gifts Above the Giver | The Truth of the Prosperity Gospel

"Sunday morning in America is the greatest hour of idolatry in the whole week. Why? Because most people who are even worshiping God, are worshiping a God they don't know. They're worshiping a god that looks more like Santa Claus, giving out the next best gift, than the God of Scripture. They're worshiping a god that is a figment of their own imagination. They created a god in their own likeness and they worship the god they've made." 

It seems to me this particular gospel is becoming more popular. I say that because I see it in often in Facebook posts. I hear it in conversation. I witness it in action. The Prosperity Gospel is absolutely detestable. It essentially uses faith in God to get things from God. It portrays God to be like an employer, and a pretty evil one at that… paying His people their wages in worldly values: vehicles, safety, health, wealth and material things…but, of course, you must earn those wages based on what you do: how often you call upon His name, the amount of faith you have to "believe it and receive it," the degree of boldness as you "name it and claim it" to be yours! Ridiculous! I know you can't always read tone in a blog. So, in case you are wondering if you're sensing some anger here, let me assure you ...you are.

Tell the parent that lost their child in a horrific accident that constant prayers of protection would've kept her alive today. How about the woman who was beaten as a child by her Father, left by her husband, stricken with cancer, lost two children and is now struggling to show unconditional love to her emotionally distraught child? Would The Prosperity Gospel give her hope…NO! It would simply point the finger to her in condemnation for not praying enough, not giving enough, not having enough faith in the Lord. What about the young girl that birthed twin babies, almost died in the process, and got to hold them in her arms long enough to see them take their last breath? Her hope MUST be in the Lord!! Where else can she put it?! Look at Job in the Bible. He was considered a righteous man and lost everything…all health, all wealth, all children…GONE. Through grief, pain and suffering, he stood strong in the Lord, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." Job 1:21 


STOP PORTRAYING THAT A "BLESSED LIFE" IS A FINANCIALLY PROFITABLE LIFE!
I am far from wealthy, but I consider my life truly BLESSED. "Following Jesus" sounds easy, as it seems to be for the wealthy, healthy and the prosperous ones. But our true commitment to Christ is revealed in the trenches, in the heartaches, in the sickness and in the despair...when we have nothing and no one else to cling to. It is in those times, our faith is tested and perfected..and we come to the solid understanding of what Jesus meant when he said in John 16:33, "I have said these things to you, that IN ME you may have peace. In the world you WILL have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

Spend some time in the Word studying the life of Jesus and His followers. I guarantee you won't find health, wealth and prosperity in worldly things… but you'll see disciples, who found Christ to be enough without those things. In Luke 9:23, it sounds as if Jesus was pretty much homeless, "Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." Paul was a bold follower and friend of Jesus. He sums up his life experiences in 2 Corinthians 11:24-28 as less than desirable; "Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. And, apart from other things, there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches." No bed of roses for that guy either. I could go on with dozens of examples, but for time's sake (and your attention span), I'll leave you with this short video. Come what may, CHRIST IS ENOUGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment